Psa. 27:1, 4-5 The LORD is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?…………..4 One thingI ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. 5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock.
Again, what beautiful words for us to pray in this situation (and many others) – you would almost think that the Lord intended them for us to use! Pray that we would have the assurance and the desire of the Psalmist – that we are secure in Christ and that we may gaze on his beauty.
“He who knows the truth knows that light, and he who knows it knows eternity. Love know it. Eternal truth and true love and beloved eternity: you are my God. To you do I sigh night and day. “(Augustine)
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
1. United Arab Emirates – The number of confirmed cases is 34,557 with 264 deaths of those with Covid 19. Although several hundred people are still being infected every week the UAE is relaxing restrictions, opening cinemas, gyms etc. Like many countries round the world they are finding that a long lockdown is not sustainable.
2. Queensland –now has had 1,058 cases (up 0 from a week ago) with 7 deaths (up 1). Queensland is relaxing restrictions but refusing to open state borders. In Australia there have been 7,195 cases (up 12). There have been 103 deaths (up 0). 6,614 people have recovered (up 8). 21 are in hospital (4 in ICU). 1,454,568 people have been tested with 0.5% being positive.
3. There have been some horrific cases of violence against women in Nigeria – this weekend for example a young woman was raped and murdered in church. Pray for justice and peace.
4. The rush to get a vaccine carries particular dangers – not least that drugs are touted as cures before they are properly tested and peer reviewed. Pray that scientific standards will not shift because of financial and political pressures.
5. May the Lord grant us periods of silence, peace and quiet – that we would not be drowned in the noise of all that is around and within us.
A Prayer of Repentance: Lord Jesus, we confess that we too often seek our refuge in other places and our beauty in other people. Help us to seek them first of all in you. Amen.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving: Lord Jesus, we thank you that in the day of trouble you keep us safe in your dwelling – you hide us in the sacred shelter of your tent – you set our feet on a rock. We bless you that we can cast all our cares upon you – because underneath are your everlasting arms. Amen.