Prayers From Philippians
Phil. 3:12-14 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
How are you getting on? It’s a familiar question. Some will say ‘FINE’ (which stands for Frustrated, Insecure, Neurotic and Exhausted’!). Others are genuinely full of joy w some are struggling. It sounds a bit underwhelming to say ‘plodding on’. But that’s what Paul says here – he is pressing on. Forgetting what is behind he strains towards the prize for which God has called us heavenward. We have a great purpose in this life. For the Christian it is never meaningless. Let’s pray that we are able to press on!
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
- Romania –The number of confirmed cases is 11,339 with 641 deaths of those with Covid 19. There has been an increase recently. The country is in lockdown with the wearing of masks being made compulsory in public.
- The ACT – now has had 106 cases (up 2 from a week ago) with 3 deaths. Australia has a whole this has gone up to 6,725 (up 12 in a day). There have been 83 deaths (up 0). 5,586 people have recovered (up 47). 113 are in hospital (43 in ICU). 517,023 people have been tested.
- Lawyers and those involved in the legal profession – as they also seek to cope with the restriction on liberties and the implications for the legal profession.
- Online and Printed Christian magazines and newspapers– as they continue to report and encourage.
- That all of us would know the renewal and power of the Holy Spirit in our lives.
A Prayer of Repentance: Our Father in Heaven, we confess that we are too self absorbed and that sometimes we get stuck in the past. We worry about what has been, and forget what lies ahead. Or if we do think about what lies ahead we do so with fear rather than hope. Help us to press forward towards the prize for which you have called us. Help us to know what that prize is.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving: O Lord Jesus – We bless you that you have taken hold of us – and you will not let us go. We thank you that there is something for us to strain towards and that we do not live our lives with no direction and no goal. We thank you that there is a heavenly home for us – with riches and pleasures beyond what we can measure. Help us to live as joyful pilgrims whilst we journey towards our home…in your name, Amen.