Prayers From Philippians
Phil. 2:19-24 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. 20 I have no one else like him, who will show genuine concern for your welfare. 21 For everyone looks out for their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22 But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel. 23 I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me. 24 And I am confident in the Lord that I myself will come soon.
At a time when we are physically separated from so many of our brothers and sisters, these words from Paul are really helpful to us in terms of our lives and prayers in this crisis. We are cheered by receiving news about each other (so pass it on)…we look out for the interests of Christ and his people (not our own)… serving in the work of the Gospel…sending others to help and being confident of being restored to physical fellowship. It is almost as though it was written for today!
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
- Mexico –The number of confirmed cases is 11,633 with 1,069 deaths of those with Covid 19. The Mexican President denied the seriousness of the pandemic until recently. The past week has seen considerable growth in cases.
- Victoria – now has 1,337 cases (up 36 from a week ago) with 16 deaths (up 2). Australia has a whole this has gone up to 6,667 (up 13 in a day). There have been 75 deaths (up 2). 5,095 people have recovered (up 344) 152 are in hospital (45 in ICU).
- Farm workers and farmers – some of whom are still coping with the effects of drought. That the farms would have enough workers to pick the crops.
- Church unity. Crisis situations can bring out the best in churches but they can also expose weaknesses and underlying problems. Pray for unity within and between churches.
- That we would be self-disciplined in terms of our physical exercise, viewing and eating. That we would not ‘binge’ and instead do all things enjoyably in moderation!
A Prayer of Repentance: O Almighty God, who alone can order the unruly wills and affections of sinful men and women; Grant unto your people, that they may love the thing which you command, and desire that which you promise: that so, among the various and many changes of the world, our hearts may surely be fixed there, where true joys are to be found: through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
A Prayer of Thanksgiving: Father – we thank you for your people, your family, your household. We thank you that there are those who care for us and that we are able to support and encourage one another in you. Grant that in this time of separation, we may grow in love for one another, and serve one another. In Christ’s name. Amen.