Prayers From Psalms
Psalm 9 – The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed a stronghold in times of trouble.10 Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.11 Sing the praises of the LORD, enthroned in Zion; proclaim among the nations what he has done.
Psalm 9 tells us that the rulers of the nations, have in their hubris, fallen into the pit they have dug. That seems an appropriate word for our time. We are in a time of trouble. It’s amazing what people turn to for a refuge in such times. All of it is ultimately useless. But the Lord is a refuge for the oppressed. He never forsakes his people – that is why we can praise, proclaim and pray.
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
- Germany – The number of confirmed cases is 174,098 with 7,861 deaths of those with Covid 19. Germany is considered a model for dealing with Covid. They have begun to relax their lockdown laws and hope to have borders open in a month.
- The ACT – now has had 107 cases (up 0 from a week ago) with 3 deaths (up 0). In Australia there have been 6,975 cases in total to date (up 13). There have been 98 deaths (up 1). 6,279 people have recovered (up 43). 50 are in hospital (17 in ICU). 909,025 people have been tested with 0.8% being positive.
- Those who run care homes and those who work in them – as well as those who live there. They are the most vulnerable.
- The US has complained that China is targeting scientists in the West who are looking for a Covid 19 vaccine. They state that they have been hacked. Pray for unity amongst nations and the scientific community. That they would work together to defeat this foe.
- Pray for children who are seeking Christ and miss their Sunday schools and friends.
- And an extra prayer for today. Please pray for the Sydney Prayer Breakfast on May 27th – one of many gatherings that happen in cities in our nation that is now online. Pray for smooth running of the technology – and pray for unity and for John Anderson who will be sharing with those present. If you’d like to also be part of it, details are here: http://www.sydneyprayerbreakfast.com.au/
A Prayer of Repentance: O Lord, we confess that we build our own shelters or run to false idols. Help us to see that only on Christ the solid rock can we stand, all other ground is sinking sand. Amen
A Prayer of Thanksgiving: O Lord, we sing your praises, the one enthroned in Zion, the one who is a refuge for the oppressed and a stronghold in times of trouble. We proclaim amongst the nations what you have done. O Lord restrain this virus even more – and grant that it may be eradicated from the earth – and that we may acknowledge the mercy and grace of the one in whom we live and move and have our being….Amen.