Can you imagine being a disciple on the first Easter Saturday? You have given up everything to follow Christ – you have seen his miracles, heard his teaching and loved his love. He is the hope of Israel…indeed the hope of the world. And then he is gone. Brutally murdered. Buried. All hope is gone. How can you pray the prayer he taught you, in such a bleak and strange land? And yet they do. And his kingdom was to come. In the deepest darkness, the greatest light is about to break out. This Saturday remember the hope, light and love of Christ, that comes in the darkness.
Petition: Please join with us in praying for:
- Canada –The number of confirmed cases is 22,148 with 564 deaths of those with Covid 19. Most cases are due to international travel although there are an increasing number of community transmission cases.
- Queensland – now has 965 cases (up from 873 a week ago) with 4 deaths (up 0) and 372 recovered. Australia as a whole this has gone up to 6,238 (up 86 – another record low). There have been 54 deaths. It is very encouraging that the number in hospital in the whole country has gone down to 236 and down to 74 in ICU. There have been 336, 436 tests of which 1.8% have been positive.
- Those who would have expected a bumper income from tourism and holidays this weekend – as they see their business decimated.
- That the triumph and significance of Easter would not be overshadowed by the fear of Covid 19.
- Those who were looking forward to a break and a holiday but find themselves in a seemingly never-ending ‘Groundhog’ day. That people would know some peace and be able to use their time creatively and compassionately.
A Prayer of Repentance: Grant, O Lord, that as we are baptized into the death of Your blessed Son our Saviour Jesus Christ, so by continual putting to death our corrupt affections we may be buried with him; and that through the grave, and gate of death, we may pass to our joyful resurrection; for his merits, who died, and was buried, and rose again for us, Your Son Jesus Christ our Lord . Amen (Book of Common Prayer – Easter Saturday).
A Prayer of Thanksgiving: I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. The cords of death entangled me, the anguish of the grave came over me; I was overcome by distress and sorrow. Then I called on the name of the LORD: “LORD, save me!” The LORD is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion. The LORD protects the unwary; when I was brought low, he saved me. “ (Ps 116:1-6)